Wednesday, January 15, 2014

On to the next ...

My last post about genetically modified products was the most read post of any I have ever written. Thanks for reading and sharing!

I just finished a book called, "Just Like Us: The True Story of Four Mexican Girls Coming of Age in America" by Helen Thorpe. It is a very interesting book in the concepts it brings up.

This book is basically highlighting the immigration problem we have in the United States. It really challenged me to truly think how I felt about this issue being that I became a naturalized citizen myself. 

At the time Helen Thorpe wrote the book she was married to the mayor of Denver. She wrote quite a bit about a Senator at the time and his views on immigration. I started to wonder what his views would be on other hot topics such as: genetically modified products, Keystone XL, the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade negotiation and so on. 

This got me thinking about the current representation we have in Congress and the biggest question of all:

Are they really representing me?

Do you know who your representatives are? Do you know if they truly represent your values? Did you really vote for them or just check the box based on party affiliation?  

I can answer that question for myself and the answer is "no" on all accounts. I never have taken the time to understand politics. It really is not something that has even interested me until now. 

Google is a beautiful thing!

I started with a Google search about Congress. Who are it's members, how many in the Senate and how many in the House? How do the different states get their number of representatives in the House?

I moved to search about Colorado. Who is the mayor of Denver? What are his values? Who is the governor of Colorado? Who are the members of Congress for Colorado? 

It is my mission to understand these people better. They are the ones voting on my future and that of my children. 

Taking control 

Some of you are super knowledgeable on these topics presented in this post. I admire you. I hope to become like you one day. 

In the meantime, if you read this post and struggled to name your mayor, governor and senate representatives, please join me in the quest to take a little more control of our future.  

Let's vote for the person who represents us and our ideals. If they get elected, then let's hold them accountable to their promises. If the person you didn't vote for get elected, then also hold them accountable. It truly is the way to get our voices heard.

Your thoughts ... I'd love to hear them! 

You may leave a comment below, email me to mary@marysalfi.com or find me on Facebook by becoming a fan of marysalfi.com
 

Vote strong!
Mary 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment