Thursday, April 28, 2016

Making a Book out of his Page

I have a friend who is a stay at home dad. Technically his job description and mine are the same. I take my job a lot more seriously though. 

Taking a book out of his page 

I was telling a mutual friend of ours that I'm going to take a book out of his page. Of course, I meant to say a page out of his book but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I was right the first time. 

I saw him the other day sitting out on his front porch reading a newspaper. It was a Tuesday at like 11:30 am. It was the perfect sunny day to do just that. Of course, I was only able to quickly glance at what he was doing because I was speeding off to fulfill my never-ending to do list. 

Just to prove my own point. I started writing this post at 7:45 am and I'm currently writing at 8:50 pm. What keeps me so busy anyway? Today as an example, I was running from one errand to the next. When would it be a good time to just sit down and read a newspaper?

Change is not easy 

The last real job I had was designing cell phone sites for T-Mobile. I loved that job. It was fun and very rewarding. A few months into the job, I found out I was pregnant with my oldest son. I quit my job 10 days after he was born. Never did I think I wouldn't work but here I was thinking to myself that I couldn't leave this tiny baby. 

I remember never taking a break when he was an infant. No matter how many people would say to me to sleep or rest when he did, I couldn't. I was always busy with something that seemed important at the time. 

I have gotten better over the years where I sometimes will nap or rest during the day for 15 minutes. I am in a good habit of meditating as well. I am definitely not to the point of just sitting down in the middle of the day without having the purpose of resting for a few minutes before going to pick up my kids from school and driving them to all their activities. 

Nothing to do 

We rented a condo the month of January in Keystone this past winter. The absolute best thing about it was that the day I wasn't skiing, there was nothing for me to do other than to read a book or relax in some way. If I were at home, I'd be cleaning out closets or rearranging the pantry or reorganizing my pictures or the multitude of other things I would think of doing. 

I'm going to make the effort to sit like my neighbor did just for the fun of it. I am going to take a page out of his book and turn it into my own book. I am going to read my magazine or book or whatever and just enjoy the sunshine. Now if it would quit snowing and raining in Denver, I could get on with my promise to myself! 

Thoughts ...
I'd love to hear from you! You may leave a comment below, or on my Facebook page marysalfi.com or email me to mary@marysalfi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment