Sunday, July 26, 2009

Man in the Mirror

Why is it that I haven't listened to any Michael Jackson songs in the past 10 years but now all of a sudden I've been listening to his songs like crazy? Anyway this morning while listening to the lyrics of "man in the mirror" I started to think about the words he was saying.

This is the part of the song that really caught my attention:

"I'm Starting With The Man In The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways
And No Message Could Have Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place
(If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place)
Take A Look At Yourself, And Then Make A Change
(Take A Look At Yourself, And Then Make A Change)"

I started thinking to myself how true is that? If we all started to make the change we want to see around us then wouldn't this world and then in turn all of us be in a better place? It's much better to act on the ideas we'd like to see then to spend time being in judgment about them.

My oldest son was in kindergarten this past year. He goes to a Waldorf school where kindergarteners are called Golden Knights. The teacher spends time with these kids every week teaching them about good deeds and how to effect change in their community. One of the activities they did was to pick up trash in the school's neighborhood. I loved that act of kindness back to our Earth and community. My son was not in shock due to this act because this is something I've done around him before. I always have 2 bags with me when I walk; one for trash and the other for recycling. I have done this for years. It feels good to give back especially to our earth.

I think Michael Jackson was definitely on to something so let's get on that bandwagon! What's the change you'd like to see around you? Is it less poverty? Is it cleaner streets? Is it a better school system? Nothing is too big for you to accomplish if you put your mind to it.

What do you think? Let me know your thoughts by posting a comment below, emailing mary@marysalfi.com or posting a comment on my Facebook account.

I'm starting with the woman in the mirror!
Mary

2 comments:

  1. I think the message in this song is profound and can be used in so many ways to have positive impact in our lives and around our communities. Wayne Dyer made a comment in his recent Excuses Begone seminar which said "Don't under estimate the power to change yourself and don't over estimate your power to change someone else..." and I think the message is the same here. WE have the power to change our own lives by simply starting with ourselves and our own thoughts.

    I went away with my girls last year after being recently divorced. I took them to San Diego and I was overwhelmed by all of the luggage (ok 3 girls going away for a week- I had alot.. :-)
    and I remember I was crying, the luggage cart hit me in my shin and it became all bruised and I felt so alone and wondering what the heck was I doing.. That night when the girls went to sleep I said and prayed and asked that I shift my thoughts and feelings aroung the trip I was away with my beautiful angels.. in a great place and I wanted to experience JOY!! Enjoy my time with them... and by simply looking at myself and how I was "perceiving" the trip- overwhelming, alone, too much for me to handle- that is what I got. As soon as I shifted my thoughts- I experienced JOY.. My girls and I had a WONDERFUL time.. we went to the zoo, Lego land, Sea World, we went on rides, ate good food, laughed and created memories of our time together... It was priceless and to think I could have missed all of it, if I didn't Look at MYSELF and not everything around me and change ME...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    I love this blog. Your words are inspiring.

    Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete