Friday, August 28, 2009

Anyone up for a walk?

A few years ago, one of my dearest friends was diagnosed with breast cancer. I remember the day she told me; I felt like the ground had given away beneath me and I thought I was going to collapse. I just couldn't imagine it. I couldn't imagine what she was going through or how the next few months were going to look. I just remember walking around in a fog for a few weeks and praying really hard that my dear friend would beat the cancer and have that become a memory. I am happy to say that she did! It was such a relief to hear the words "I am cancer free!" YAY what a feeling.

This morning another dear friend of mine is walking the Breast Cancer 3 day benefiting Susan G. Komen for the cure. She has trained for months and it's finally here. She's excited, I'm excited, our city is excited "GO WALKERS!!" She is walking in honor of my dear friend and others who BEAT the cancer but she is also walking in memory of some who didn't. Every mile she walks will hopefully get us one step closer to a cure.

With the anticipation of the walk beginning I've been thinking about my girlfriends and the women in my life a lot these few days. I thought about how many things we will face together; cancer, remission, infertility, adoption, miscarriages, divorces, marriages, new babies, our kids starting kindergarten, kids going to college, menopause ... and many more. It made me want to say that we are a resilient bunch ready to take on life by its horns and enjoy every moment of it. For you my girlfriends, mother, aunts, mother-in-law and sisters-in-law I dedicate this blog to you. May we continue to share all moments of life together.

A few days ago, I wasn't feeling well at all. I was very emotional, upset and tired. It took for me to have a huge cathartic cry on the shoulders of my husband, brother and friend. So for all the men out there that have women in your life and are there for them I dedicate this blog to you as well. Your role is very important in our lives as well and we love having you there.

I would love to hear your thoughts. Email me to mary@marysalfi.com, post a comment or find me on Facebook.

I'm off to a cheering station! I hope I don't cry like a small child when I see my friend walking with thousands of others. If I do cry, oh well I'm not one to bottle it in :)

Namaste,
Mary

1 comment:

  1. Well My Friend... I did it!! I finished all 60 miles and was honored to do so in honor and memory of the MANY people who supported me. Whenever things got tough or I questioned whether I could finish, I looked at all of the buttons I had with their names on them and I knew my pain was nothing compared to what all of them had gone through and I persevered!

    THANK YOU.. so much for all of your support. Seeing your smiling face at the cheer station and closing ceremony meant so much to me... and thank Lou for the WONDERFUL meal after the walk. I really needed good food after the weekend.

    You talk about the life lessons and what the universe will have us face... this weekend was very emotional for me. It started during rehearsals for opening ceremonies Thursday evening all the way through Sunday evening when I arrived home. We walked through the grounds of the hospital where my mother passed away and almost 5 years later- I couldn't do so without a total melt down.. All I can say is we are resilient!! We live with spirit and will take on whatever "arrangements"/contracts we have made with strength and fortitude...

    I love you my friend and I am so blessed to have you in my life.

    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete