Thursday, February 25, 2016

How about working together instead?

If you are an American, you are probably watching or following the presidential race or at least getting some news about in your Facebook newsfeed or to your inbox or on your twitter account or some other form of social media. My point is that it's hard to miss it.

I subscribe to most politicians newsletters. I just want to see what they are thinking and what they are promising.  I'm not a person who is affiliated with any party and I will vote for the person who I think will do our country the most good. I would love to learn who they are to truly understand if they are someone I'd vote for.

Little did I know that might be an impossibility. I'd like for a politician to tell me what they will do as president NOT bash the other candidate. However that seems to be all they are doing in addition to of course bashing the president.

Is this really what we've become? 

Why have we gotten here? Why do we feel as a society that the only way to get ahead is to trample all over someone else? I would love to have a candidate stand up there and be respectful to the president, to his/her fellow candidates and to the opposing party.

What makes someone feel that if they are respectful and not nutty in their ideology no one will listen. Most of us are very reasonable people who want to live in a country where freedoms are afforded, where if you work hard you are rewarded and want to respect and be respected by our fellow human beings. It's not a lot to ask.

I have yet to watch a presidential debate without being embarrassed for the candidates. It's almost as if the candidate is on a mission during the debate to take on another candidate and expose his flaws. Why is that necessary? Why can't he just tell us what he'd like to do to move things in the right direction. What's wrong with working together? At the end of the day we are all Americans before we are republicans, democrats, liberals and so on.

Where's the reset button?

This system is flawed and it's time to fix it. At this point, I'd like a reset button and to start over. Not one of the current presidential candidates has earned my vote but most importantly my respect. I don't trust any of them. We have an entire system built on being deceitful. It's terrible and embarrassing. No one is perfect and everyone is flawed in one form or another. It's called being human. I'm OK with that. Now let's move on and let's work together as a country to make us better.

My friend said it best, "Is it possible for everyone to lose?" He of course meant the candidates but the truth is that we as citizens are losing. We are losing the battle of morality and humanity. At a minimum, I expect the person representing me to be able to act like an adult and to be respectful of another adult standing next to him. If he can't win without attacking another person's character, then I don't want him or her for that matter representing me.

Comments?

I'd love to hear them! Leave your comments below, email me to mary@marysalfi.com or on my Facebook page.







No comments:

Post a Comment