Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Receiving ... it feels good!

I got a nasty cough from my son last week and I still haven’t been able to shake it off. I feel fine during the day, but then I can’t sleep at night. I was at the pool yesterday and was telling my friend about it. I was also telling her that my husband was going to be out of town tonight and I didn’t know how I was going to manage the kids and dinner. She immediately offered to bring us dinner. At first I politely declined, but she told me to hush and said she was just going to bring it. I had to agree.

Finally, I am able to receive!

I have to say that as the day went on, I was so excited about the fact that I didn’t have to worry about making dinner. I ended up taking a two hour much needed nap this morning instead of going to the store.

I was then talking to another friend and she offered to take my kids to the pool for a couple of hours this evening so that I could rest. Again, I was going to decline until she made me feel like it was something she would be happy to do.

So here I am sitting on the couch, writing a blog with a full belly and my kids having fun under the watch of my friend. I have to say, it feels good. It took years of practice for me to be able to receive.

Achieving balance

I often mention contracts or life lessons and “receiving” is definitely a huge contract for many. Most of us feel so much more comfortable giving than receiving. However, the two must go hand in hand to achieve balance.

My teacher used to often tell people that if they didn’t learn how to receive, they’d end up with a broken leg with no choice but to receive. Life has a way of keeping its balance. If you allow nature to be our guide, you’ll see we have night and day, summer and winter, hot and cold and so on. I can finally say that I felt how great it is to receive.


Your thoughts … I’d love to hear them

You may leave a comment below, email me to mary@marysalfi.com or find me on Facebook marysalfi.com

I’m going to make myself a cup of tea and sip it in peace until my kiddos come home!
Mary

2 comments:

  1. You know me, and you know this is STILL one of the hardest lessons for me to learn. But I agree with Deb 100%... the Universe will put you in a place where you have NO CHOICE but to receive. I believe that more than ever after having my surgery a couple months ago. I was forced to let my boyfriend and friends and family be there for me. I just had to accept thats how it was going to be, lol. But I do feel better knowing that it's OKAY to let people help every now and then. It was actually a really nice feeling when I gave in and stopped trying to fight it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's usually how it happens :) I think for me it was going on bed rest a couple of years ago. I've never had to receive like that in my life! I think too, it's harder to receive from non-family members or friends. It was definitely a different way of doing things for me tonight but it was great.

    ReplyDelete